Registration for this session has been closed.
2022Fall Book List for HS204（9th Grade –Term 1）
Book List A
- *Pride and Prejudice, by Austen, Jane
- *Tess of the D’Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
- *A Farewell to Arms, by Ernest Hemingway--- This semi-autobiographical novel tells the tale of a young ambulance driver in WWII who falls in love with a nurse after he is wounded.
- Metamorphosis (100)
- *Brave New World, (288) by Aldous Huxley--- This well-known work imagines a future world where happiness is paramount but individualism is considered obscene, delving into what Huxley called the creation of a negative utopia.
Fall Extra Reading
- Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert--- In this classic novel, Emma Bovary engages in affairs and lives well past her means in order to escape what she sees as a banal and empty peasant life.
- *Antigone, by Sophocles
- Lord of flies, by William Golding, (1954 novel by Nobel Prize)
- *Catch 22, by Joseph Heller--- Set in WWII, this novel uses a non-chronological plot to form a critique of bureaucratic operation and reasoning.