This course will introduce students to novels from several genres. This varied reading list will not only challenge and engage students but also present an opportunity to discuss various character types, conflicts, etc. It will also facilitate students' learning about diverse themes and ideas: business and business practices, family and culture, etc. The course will emphasize reading comprehension, mainly through these in-class discussions. Students will also cultivate creative and academic writing via in-class lessons and weekly writing assignments. The first half of the course will focus on various creative writing styles while the latter half of the course will focus on academic writing. They will also develop some basic grammar skills which they will practice in class and through homework worksheets. Students will begin reading their first novel in preparation for the first class!
- Wings of Fire Book 1 by Tui T Sutherland (3 weeks)
- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
- The Lemonade War by Jacqueline Davies
- Save Me a Seat by Gina Weeks & Gita Varadarajan
- I Survived the Attack of the Grizzlies, 1967 by Lauren Tarshis
Fall Extra Reading: